Tuesday, September 30

Diet and ADD/ADHD

They are linking diet more and more to the diagnosis of ADD. (I am not saying that diet is a CAUSE of ADD or can cure it, I'm just saying it is probably linked.) Dr. Fuhrman has done a case study and reversed the diagnosis of 90% of his test subjects by changes in diet alone. here are the guidelines he followed:

* a high nutrient primarily vegetable-fruit-nut diet
* 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed daily (source of Omega-3 acid which reduces/prevents inflammation)
* 1/2 oz of walnuts daily (also a source of Omega-3's)
* additional 100-600mg of DHA daily (flaxseed oil)

I still don't really know much about flax though. I would have to research it more.

Did you notice that the diet did not contain meat/dairy? The speaker (a registered dietitian) said her family rarely eats meat OR dairy. Someone asked how kids get enough calcium. She claimed that there are lots of vegetarian sources of calcium like: beans, dark leafy greens, nuts and seeds, etc. Also almost 50% of the calcium from these sources is absorbed into the body, unlike the 20% from animal protein sources. Another fact about animal proteins is that they raise the acidity of the blood. Calcium is what your body uses to counteract that, taking from your bones if need be. If dairy were the answer to brittle bones, she said, why are humans breaking their hips in record numbers despite the increase in dairy products consumed in recent years? Interesting info...

One last thing before I leave you. One of the ingredients in the Dannon Frusion smoothie is carmine. Check this out before you eat any more colored yogurt.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am going to check all my food for Carmine and avoid it! Ugh, gross. Poor beetles!

I do love my cheese, but I get most of my protein and calcium from dark green veggies! I try to have veggies with dinner every day. I mix them up to get more nutrients throughout the week.

Flax is kinda gross on it's own. Don't go out and buy ground up flax seed... you will end up throwing it away! Instead, get flax infused bread or cereal. You can also add flax oil to food you cook or your orange juice. :)

Mandi said...

Barry eats flaxseed almost every day. He grounds it up using our Magic Bullet (the kitchen kind ;) and puts it in smoothies. You can't even taste it. I also learned this weekend that you can substitute 1 egg for 1 tbl. ground flax seends and 2-3 tbls water! Here's the recipe: http://www.recipezaar.com/104832 How cool is that??

Anonymous said...

Good post! There is a lot of research on the effects of diet changes with Autism and ADHD. There is definitely something to that!

Kathy

The Ayers Family said...

I really want to change our eating habits before the boys get old enough to notice, but I could't find a "diet" that was worth the effort until I came across "The Sneaky Chef". Its a recipe book that changes the nutritional value of the everyday items your family eats by adding in 'purees' that contain super healthy ingredients. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out... it's a great way to include the whole family in an upgrade. I've even considered the Celiac diet- www.celiachealth.org