Friday, June 6

Q & A #11

Another of my favorite things is reading. Any of you who know me in real life know that I have an uncanny ability to speed-read. Not quite like you may see on those old TV commercials where the guy is trying to show you how to read faster. I just naturally read quickly. If I am uninterrupted, I can finish a regular length novel in an afternoon. So here are my questions:

What is your favorite genre to read? Do you have a favorite book? A least favorite? Is there a book that made you think more than usual?

My favorite genre used to be romance, but I don't read as many of those as I used to. Nowadays I really like either fantasy/science fiction OR books about women/families and their lives.

Favorite book... that is a hard one. At the risk of being a nerd, I REALLY liked the Harry Potter series. I think my favorite of those was the Half-Blood Prince. I liked reading Dumbledore's part in it all. I also LOVE the Anne of Green Gables series. I know, I know, kids' books are where it's at.

Least favorite... have to agree with Rhiannon that Grapes of Wrath is my least favorite of all time. It is rare that I can't get through a book and that was one of the majors.

I just finished the Golden Compass series. I have to say that the trilogy made me think a lot. Also the book, His Needs, Her Needs made me think pretty hard too. That one is a book about relationships. I recommend these books to all who like to think once in a while.

5 comments:

Rhiannon said...

Well, I will have to think about what my favorite is but I do know my least favorite. Hands down it is The Grapes of Wrath. I had to read this in high school and it was soooo bad. I even rented the movie and it was even worse! I couldn't even finish it.

Mirdonamy said...

Favorite Genre: Occult and New Age

Favorite Book: Childrens Past Lives (if I ever have kids, I'm rereading this book)!

Favorite Series: Harry Potter - Loved the 4th book best

Least Favorite Book: I can't remember the name, but it was for one of my Thursby classes in college. I hated the book so much, I asked if I could read and do my final report on something else. He actually said yes and gave me a book trying to debunk Near Death Experiences. I had to give a one lecture/q & a session on my thoughts about it and books supporting NDE's for my final (instead of taking a test).

Made Me Think: Journey of Souls and On Having No Head are two books that really made me think, very deeply about life, dreams, goals, reality...

Rachel said...

Favorite genre: literature/fiction, although I'll occasionaly go for non-fiction (the Botany of Desire was really interesting).

Least favorite genre: history.

I just finished reading The Glass Castle and LOVED IT (finished within 2 days). A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of many favorites, but I can't choose just one. There is a link to books I've read on my sidebar with some reviews/stars.

megAstar said...

My favorite genre is fiction - suspense-ish I guess I would say. I have read almost every book by Carl Hiaasen. His books are funny, suspenseful, and all set in South Florida, so it reminds me of how crazy people are there. : ) I also enjoy Dean Koontz novels.
I can't think of my least favorite book, since I'm sure it's blocked out of my head. I didn't like a number of books in school, I remember really disliking Fahrenheit 451, taking it way back to middle school!

Anonymous said...

Fave genre: I'm a little all over the place. If it's good, I will try for it. I tend to like the classics, suspense/thriller/conspiracy, and stories with period settings (historical). I like sci-fi to a degree but don't tend to seek those out. I like southern lit. I also like biographies, a lot.

Fave books - I have always loved To Kill a Mockingbird. Catcher in the Rye really spoke to me in hs, though I doubt I'd feel the same way about it. I'm a fan of Ayn Rand (but not a fanatic) and loved Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. Have read and reread the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Same with Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, which might be due a reread.

Least favorite - I was disappointed in The Great Gatsby in hs. There were a couple more school-reading I didn't really like that I don't remember. As an adult, I don't really so much have to deal with this since I can just choose to close the book!

Oh, and really enjoyed Grapes of Wrath in hs. I was big on Steinbeck - liked his writing style.