Sunday, June 1

My 3K

Motivated by all that talk in my exercise post, I went to the gym on Friday and took a class called, ironically, "Boot Camp." We cycled for 15 minutes, jogged on the track for 15 minutes, did step for 15 minutes, THEN did tricep dips, situps, and pushups. I am a bit sore. :)

Saturday morning, Mike and I put the girls in Laurie's jogging stroller and ran in our gym's 10th anniversary 3K race. He ran ahead with the stroller because he has significantly longer legs than me and I don't think he could jog my speed if he tried. I finished in 24 minutes. That actually put me on track for about a 40 minute 5K which would be my fastest time ever. So for a road race with a few inclines, that is quite an improvement on my treadmill time. I was so proud of myself.

The gym had food and rides for the kids in their parking lot to celebrate their anniversary. We played a bit, then went to the water park. Erin LOVED IT!
She splashed with Daddy and sat for a long time in the shallow end just having a grand ole time. I was so proud of Leah!!! She was actually going down the slide by herself by the end.

While we were there, Leah saw a little friend of hers from school. Mike and I started talking to the parents while the girls played. They have 4 girls, ages 7, 5, 3, and 11 months. Their kids were adorable! I could see them joining in on our barbeques and stuff. Now I totally understand why all my parents' friends were always the parents of my friends. When you are this age, many of the people you meet are through your kids. You bond over preschool, sports, dance, whatever your kids participate in.

Last night we went with Bryan, Tiffany, and Brandon to see the new Indiana Jones. It was our first time with a babysitter who was not one of our parents!! Our next door neighbor's daughter, Deja (not sure if I'm spelling that right), came over to sit while the kids were sleeping. She has been GREAT with the kids out in the cul-de-sac so I trusted her. Plus I did not anticipate anything happening, so I wasn't worried about it. Well, at 11:30 she calls me to say that Erin woke up crying and she changed her diaper. But she wouldn't settle down. UGH! When we got home, Deja was rocking Erin in her glider and my baby was WIDE awake at midnight. I hope Deja wasn't too scarred and will consider sitting for us again, because she handled the situation well, I think. Although if I were going to have someone put the kids to bed too, I would ask someone older and with more experience. Deja is only in middle school. So we survived another milestone, our first babysitter.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey that yoga show I was telling you about is called "Inhale" and it comes on the Oxygen channel. It comes on very early, but we DVR it and do it later.

Anonymous said...

That's great! I like entering races...I think it's a great way to motivate yourself to exercise :)

Kathy

megAstar said...

Congrats on your 3K!
I just bought a workout DVD by Jillian Michaels (from The Biggest Loser) called 30 Day Shred. It has 3 20-minute workouts, each one a little harder. You only do one, so it's a quick workout, but very effective! I will update as I go on with it!

Nikki said...

Good for you guys for racing! And congrats on your time. That must feel great!

Glad you got out and went to the movies and it all worked out with the babysitter. Babies cry, that's what you pay her for. :) I'm sure she wasn't scarred and hopefully next time Erin won't wake up, but the important thing is everyone was fine and you guys got some quality time out. :)

Kelly in NC said...

Don't yo just love the swim park! We took the kids from school there on Friday and they had a blast!