Saturday, October 4

Race for the Cure

Mike and I completed our second official 5K today. Unfortunately because we were in the non-competitive race, we were not officially timed. But Mike had on a stopwatch and we ran it in 38:20. I think I walked about 40 seconds of that because I had a GINORMOUS stitch in my ribs that kept me from breathing.

The day began at 5:30am for us. Erin happened to wake up 5 minutes before our alarm was supposed to go off. We packed everybody up and left our house at 6:20. At 6:25 Leah declare that she had to go potty (we just brought her straight from bed to the car, we didn't think about potty). So we had to run into WalMart for a potty break. We got to the parking garage at 7:10 and made it to the race area by 7:45. We were lined up at 8am but the race was delayed in starting because the competitive race wasn't past our starting point yet. There were 15,000 people "racing" so it was... interesting. Once the starting announcement was made it took us a good 5 min to reaching the starting line, then another maybe 10 min to break out of the crowd enough to really run. So that 38:20 is not so bad considering all that. It was not necessarily a good place to make a 5K record time. AND the last mile was mostly up a LONG hill. I was so exhausted by then, but I pushed the last eighth of a mile and was happy with the whole event.

From there we traveled to Freedom Park to the Down Syndrome Association Buddy Walk in Chase's honor. They had a bouncy castle, Dora the Explorer (from Carowinds), free Italian ices and hot dogs for the participants. I ate my hot dog while meandering around the pond (that was the walk). But it was a lovely day and much money was raised for Down Syndrome awareness and research. It was nice to do our part.

I REALLY didn't want to eat a hot dog because tomorrow morning is our last weigh-in for the Biggest Loser competition. I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight this morning! But after running I was starving and I had already eaten the healthy granola bar I packed. So I sucked it up and ate the dog. It was pretty damn good too. :) But I will have a GREAT rest of the day and I am crossing my fingers that I see that good number again in the morning.

Pops is arriving tomorrow to spend some time with us. I promised Leah that since we did so many things for Mommy & Daddy today, we could do things she wanted to do tomorrow. So we shall see what kinds of things a three year old wants to do. It should be a trip.


Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 5K! Good Luck tomorrow! You should all be very proud of yourself :)


Nikki said...

Congrats on the 5k! You've inspired me to sign up for one!