Thursday, September 14

Sometimes I feel like something's missing...

I wish there was a way to work, but not be responsible for being at work or turning in anything. Sometimes I feel like my time is very empty. I wander around with Leah wondering if this is all there is. Then there are other days when she and I are busy and on the go all day. I love watching her try something new or say new words. I don't want to send her to daycare. AND I don't want to work full-time. But I also don't want to get some kind of random part time job. If I went back to work, I'd want to teach. I know people are probably thinking that substituting would be ideal, but it's not the same as getting to know your kids and planning the curriculum (a part I really enjoy). So I guess I will just try to make staying at home more like working at a preschool with a schedule and activities planned in advance. Maybe that will make it feel less like I am a bum.

On another note, I am now down 8 pounds and a pant size. I really like my exercise schedule and it's getting easier to eat well. I'm getting all ready to become pregnant again in a few months! :)

5 comments:

Erica Lynn said...

Maybe you can volunteer, or maybe a hobby that will help? I'm actually going through the same thing, but without a toddler to chase around, so its even worse. For the past 3 months Sean's needed my help less and less. Now my job only takes a few hours a week, almost all of which I can do from my laptop, anywhere. Sounds nice, but there's a whole lot of 'free time' that I have no idea how to fill. I've fallen into a housewife roll, and I think I actually like it, so I'm not sure I want out. But I know I need something else, I just dont know what is missing.

Nikki said...

Right now I guess I have the ideal balance since I work part-time doing something I love and Jason's parents watch Halle while I'm at work. But I'll tell you, there are plenty of days where I wish I had chosen to just stay home and spend all my time with her. I think no matter what choice you make, there's always going to be times when you wonder if you should be doing something else. I bet planning your days with Leah like a little preschool would be very fulfilling. That sounds like fun and makes me want to quit my job. :)

Down a pant-size! That's excellent! How's the running going?

Emily said...

I'd suggest volunteering too. It would be a great example for Leah as well. You could always contact your local United Way - maybe they need someone with your experience as a teacher?
Do you have a playgroup, or other moms to get together with?
Honestly though, if you're thinking about a second child on the way...believe me, you will be busy! I'm only working part-time but there are days I wish I did not have to work at all.

Kelly in NC said...

My school is always very flexible and hires alot of part time people. Let me know if you are interested. We are looking for a 5th gr english teacher. You'd be great...but it is probably more responsibility than you want to take on right now. Maybe something else though...like part of our tutoring staff??

Angelle said...

Tutoring may be the way to go. I will think about it and let you know, Kelly.

Running has been tough. I go out in the mornings with Laurie and she does not run. I like to walk with her and visit. I have been playing Dance, Dance Revolution in my living room the last few days for like 20 minutes a day. That is a pretty good cardio workout and the kids like to cheer me on. :)